2013-04-18

Dream

I.

Corridors
Semi-deserted 4th floor of a classroom building.
Light brick outside
Light painted cinder block walls inside
Light wood doors with a glass window
Its night outside
Ther is carpet on the floor of some of the classrooms
Green.

II.

I'm standing outside the door of such a classroom.
Inside Matthew and Ashok
Are trying to pull out a close one
In the last round of the night.
With their 4 advantage case.
I'm wondering if Gibson will call me a fool
For having my team
     plan
On dropping an advantage or two

III.

Another room. No carpet. I sit. Observe.
Lee and Paul's round is hours behind schedule.
C'mon, Paul. Do well, Lee.
I worry my worries in a detached sort of way.
Win?
The judge arises after 2NC
Gathers things together
Says "I have to go to class."
Leaves
The debaters and I look at each other
It's horrifying, astounding, appalling.
Shrug shoulders
There's nothing for it but to go to bed
And do the rebuttals in the morning.

1978.08.24

No comments:

Post a Comment